First and foremost, it is indeed apparently “Dive-In” and not “Drive-in”. So, no, that is not a typo. 🙂
We had a reservation for Sci-Fi Dive-In on our last trip in 2013, but sadly had to shift our plans around and couldn’t get replacement reservations. So we made sure to make it part of our 2015 trip especially since we’re not sure if it’ll be there once Star Wars Land begins construction in 2016/2017. Come find out if it was worth the wait…
Theme & Ambiance – 9.5 out of 10 points
We walked into the waiting area, checked in and grabbed our pager. The staging area is actually pretty dull. To the point where I wondered if we’d made a mistake picking Sci-Fi Dive-In as today’s table service choice. We waited 10-15 minutes and then were walked into the dining area and were relieved to see we did NOT make a mistake.
The dining area had rows and rows of old (fake) cars all facing a huge indoor movie screen which plays campy black and white science fiction movies from the 40s and 50s- the kind of movies that Mystery Science Theatre would likely make fun of. It was super enjoyable and a great way to spend your time while waiting for your food.
The only downside (kind of) is that each car fits about 4 people, so if you are a party of 2 (like we were) then you’ll have a random person or party of two in the car with you. This isn’t a big deal, though, since they are either in front of you or behind you (they do not face each other).
Menu & Food – 6.5 out of 10 points
Ok, so let’s be real: this is diner food and you come here almost solely for the ambiance (which is great). The menu is essentially melts, sandwiches, burgers, and shakes. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing you can’t get at your local Denny’s or iHop. It’s classic Americana. But, don’t come here expecting fine dining like many other Disney World table service restaurants. The low score here reflects the menu itself moreso than the food, which is fine and tasty when you get it.
Extra Credit – 2.5 out of 5 points
These things don’t deserve their own paragraph (usually) but could still be point-worthy tidbits. Each item is worth -1 to 1 points, which means places can actually lose points here!
- Service: Our server was super friendly. (+ 1 points)
- Ideal environment for: Couples, families, groups of friends. (+ 1 points)
- Dessert: We did not indulge BUT I heard the shakes are great. (+ 0.5 points)
- Location: Kind of hidden within Hollywood Studios. (+ 0 points)
- Will return on future visit: We liked it but probably would not come back due to other places we want to try. If we found out it is on the chopping block due to Star Wars Land, we’d go back one more time though. (+0 points)
Sci-Fi Dive-In Total Score:
18.5 out of 25 points
- My Disney Dining Reviews Summary Page
- Liberty Tree Tavern at Magic Kingdom: A Review
- Le Cellier Steakhouse at EPCOT: A Review
- Five Fun food tips for your visit to WDW