Today from 3-4.30 PM PDT was the Disney Parks and Resorts session at D23. Needless to say, they announced A LOT of amazing things. Here is a list of everything that got announced (and perhaps with some minor commentary in parenthesis, too).
Walt Disney World
- Hollywood Studios
- Official name for “Star Wars Land” will be Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- Toy Story Land set to open in Summer of 2018
- Mickey and Minnie ‘s Runaway Railway, a 2.5D (like, almost 3D, but no glasses required) ride replacing The Great Movie Ride (ride soon- closing for good on Aug 13th).
- Ratatouille ride coming to France pavilion
- Mission:Space getting a table service restaurant next door whose theme seems to be like a space station.
- Mission:Space also getting a 3rd mission added during current refurbishment.
- Guardians will be replacing Ellen’s Universe of Energy (ride soon- closing for good on Aug 13th).
- New film for the China pavilion
- Magic Kingdom
- Tron Lightcycle Run coming to Tomorrowland before 50th anniversary. Will NOT be replacing Tomorrowland Speedway, but will be adjacent to that and Space Mountain.
- Getting a new theater, inspired by Kansas City’s Willis Theatre, on Main Street, which will look as it did when Walt lived there.
- There will be an immersive Star Wars themed hotel coming which will be adjacent to Hollywood Studios
- A new DVC resort, called Disney Riviera Resort, will be built. 15th DVC resort, with about 300 units and set to open in fall 2019 and be connected to the gondola (see below).
- The gondola is confirmed and will be called Disney Skyline
- Launching their own Uber-like service called “Minnie Vans”. Will pick you up and drop you off at any water/theme park, hotel, or Disney Springs for $20 flat rate. Who needs Uber, right?
- Star Wars Land officially named Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (same as Hollywood Studios)
- California Adventure
- An immersive Marvel super hero experience (or land?) is coming to California Adventure. They were pretty vague about this one. Focus sounds to be Avengers and Spiderman, in addition to Guardians.
- Paradise Pier will get re-imagined to be much more Pixar’ized.
- Radiator Springs is going to get a fun Halloween overlay
- The Hotel New York will be re-imagined as a more Marvel’ized experience
Disney Cruise Line
- They’re adding a 3rd new ship (in addition to the 2 already under construction).
Ok, as far as I know, that’s the complete list. What am I most excited for? Honestly, the rides and food. That’s my bag. So, in order of most excited on top:
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge (having seen the models which are amazing)
- Tron Lightcycle coming to Tomorrowland (and the refresh that will hopefully accompany it)
- Toy Story Land
- Mission:Space table service restaurant sounds awesome!
- The Mickey and Minnie ride at HS.
- Guardians coming to EPCOT should be awesome
- Ratatouille will be cool IF they bring the trackless ride system.
- All the California Adventure stuff is way too vague for me to be excited yet so we’ll see what the rumor mill churns out in the next few months!
What are YOU most excited about?